Subject: Re: bug#32578: Remove "joke" from drag events documentation

From: Chris Shea <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2018 23:49:45 -0400

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018, 11:14 PM Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]
>
> It is pertinent that the "drag events" joke does not speak negatively
> about any group of people.  Rationally speaking, it is not offensive
> to anyone.
>
> --
> Dr Richard Stallman
> President, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)
> Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)
>

Oh boy. I never said anything about the joke being offensive.

But I blame myself for not foreseeing this reaction, since this is the
unwelcome I was talking about. This joke's presence in the official
documentation communicates (accurately, as this whole exchange has
demonstrated) that Emacs is created by people who think that a reference to
drag is politically incorrect (and somehow rightfully so) and risqué (else
why bring up Victorian prudishness). And that suggests a certain kind of
attitude that not everyone has the patience to deal with.

I can see that the line is doing what it intends, so I accept the wontfix.

With the bond that unites all living things,