Subject: 24.5; cannot end gdb breakpoint command list

From: Steven Legowik <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 10:37:16 -0400

When running gdb in emacs I cannot terminate a breakpoint command list.  
It says to terminate the command list by typing "end" by itself on a 
line, but when I do it continues to prompt for additional commands.  I 
can get out of this mode using ctrl-C, but the breakpoint commands are 
not saved.

Example:

(gdb) i b
Num     Type           Disp Enb Address            What
3       breakpoint     keep y   0x000000000043893b in 
add_rrmsg_to_vector(msg_t const*) at springsolver.cc:2496
     breakpoint already hit 5 times
(gdb) command 3
Type commands for breakpoint(s) 3, one per line.
End with a line saying just "end".
 >print *_msg->msg
 >end
 >  C-c C-cQuit
(gdb)

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
  of 2017-09-20 on lcy01-07, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description:    Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS

Configured using:
  `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
  --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
  --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
  --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
  --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
  --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
  --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
  --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
  --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
  --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
  'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat
  -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
  -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Mark set
Switched to thread 1 [2 times]
Mark set
Quit
Switched to thread 1
No breakpoints specified.
Quit [3 times]
Undefined command: "v".  Try "help".
Switched to thread 1 [4 times]
Quit

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/cmake-data/cmake-mode hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp/debian-startup hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/rst hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/textmodes/rst

Features:
(shadow sort warnings emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils dired-aux
dired mail-extr ffap thingatpt url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars sh-script smie executable
help-mode rect misearch multi-isearch gdb-mi bindat json vc-dispatcher
vc-svn cc-langs cl-loaddefs cl-lib cc-mode cc-fonts easymenu cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs gud
easy-mmode comint ansi-color ring time-date tooltip electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 175827 13072)
  (symbols 48 24162 0)
  (miscs 40 155 347)
  (strings 32 34451 6965)
  (string-bytes 1 1072976)
  (vectors 16 16849)
  (vector-slots 8 484391 11255)
  (floats 8 83 360)
  (intervals 56 4594 50)
  (buffers 960 22)
  (heap 1024 66220 945))