Subject: bug#32562: 26; `read-char(-exclusive)' and `characterp'

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 08:30:56 -0700 (PDT)

> The changes I made can be seen here:
> 
>   https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-
> 3A__git.savannah.gnu.org_cgit_emacs.git_commit_-3Fh-3Demacs-2D26-26id-
> 3D5cf282d65f10f59f7efa63359dfd2b2e124943da&d=DwIBAg&c=RoP1YumCXCg
> aWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=kI3P6ljGv6CTHIKju0jqInF6AOwMCYR
> DQUmqX22rJ98&m=jioWGqzV72URRu3VKa5ldIhRy-
> eUITHjY2CjCiAMVEw&s=gVdGs2AlmqeIsl7dbZM0_9ulTQ_PPe0vAnT5MUx8AN
> M&e=

Thanks, that helps.

> Please read them (in their context of surrounding manual text, of
> course), and then see if something is still unclear.  

I can't easily read them in the context of the surrounding material,
but I read the diff, at least.

I see "character event" referred to but not explicitly defined, as
such. The inline explanation is clear enough, I think. Why not
treat the first occurrence of "character event" as a defined term
(however that's done in texinfo, so that it ends up in Info quoted,
as "character event"), and create an index entry for it (plus an
entry "event, character")? (Perhaps you did that; I can't tell.)

I think this might be the right occurrence to treat as defining
"character event":

+keys, and function keys.  Ordinary keys correspond to (possibly
+modified) characters; the events they generate are represented in Lisp
+as characters.  The event type of a character event is the character
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+itself (an integer), which might have some modifier bits set; see

> > It's not clear to me, at least. Why isn't `chararcterp' necessary
> > and sufficient for testing whether something is a character?
> 
> It is.  But it is not sufficient for testing whether something is a
> character input event, because an input event can include modifiers,
> and valid character codepoints don't include modifiers.

Got it. Thx.