Subject: Re: bug#32548: Cuirass: Performance monitoring

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 14:21:37 +0200

Hi Mathieu!

Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> How about also adding metrics per build machine? I have the impression,
>> for instance, that the aarch64 machine in my living room is not used.
>> If this is confirmed, we could take appropriate action (uncomment it in
>> /etc/machines.scm :-), compare to other used machines, change the scheduling
>> in the daemon, or even turn it off to conserve energy should it turn out
>> that we have too much build power...).
>
> Yes I would really like to have something like:
> https://hydra.nixos.org/machines, with a build rate for every machine.

+1!

> However, it cannot be done without structural changes to how offloading
> is handled. For now it's working this way:
>
> Cuirass -> guix-daemon -> guix offload -> build machines
>
> Which means that Cuirass has almost no information about offloaded
> builds.

In practice, it could parse the offload events that it gets; a bit of a
hack, but good enough.  However…

> We are currently starting discussions about inviting the Guix Build
> Coordinator to the party.

… this sounds like the better option longer-term.

Ludo’.