Subject: bug#32548: Cuirass: Performance monitoring

From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 09:10:40 +0200

Hello Andreas,

> Congratulations, that looks like a very useful start already!
> (And the number of builds has doubled since yesterday, so someone already
> put it to good use!)

Thanks for your feedback :)

> How about also adding metrics per build machine? I have the impression,
> for instance, that the aarch64 machine in my living room is not used.
> If this is confirmed, we could take appropriate action (uncomment it in
> /etc/machines.scm :-), compare to other used machines, change the scheduling
> in the daemon, or even turn it off to conserve energy should it turn out
> that we have too much build power...).

Yes I would really like to have something like:
https://hydra.nixos.org/machines, with a build rate for every machine.

However, it cannot be done without structural changes to how offloading
is handled. For now it's working this way:

Cuirass -> guix-daemon -> guix offload -> build machines

Which means that Cuirass has almost no information about offloaded
builds. We are currently starting discussions about inviting the Guix
Build Coordinator to the party.

That could maybe help us implement what you are proposing, among other
things.

Thanks,

Mathieu