Subject: Re: bug#32548: Cuirass: Performance monitoring

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2020 19:51:05 +0100

Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello,
>
>> As discussed earlier today on IRC with Clément, we could add performance
>> monitoring capabilities to Cuirass.  Interesting metrics would be:
>>
>>   • time of push to time of evaluation completion;
>>
>>   • time of evaluation completion to time of build completion.
>
> Small update on that one. With Cuirass commit
> 154232bc767d002f69aa6bb1cdddfd108b98584b, we now have the following
> timestamps:
>
> * Checkout commit time.
> * Evaluation creation.
> * Evaluation checkouts completion.
> * Evaluation completion.
>
> For the first timestamp, I'm using Guile-Git to extract the commit time,
> which is not the commit push time. In fact, I think there is no such
> thing as "commit push time" in git.

I had this issue with the Guix Data Service as well, it uses the
timestamp in the email sent by the Savannah git hook, which is the
closest I've got to "commit push time".

> We can still compute the metric 'time of commit to time of evaluation
> completion', but it's less relevant than the proposed 'time of push to
> time of evaluation completion'.

As someone can commit, then potentially push those commits hours later,
assuming no one else has pushed, this data might be a bit noisy. Time
between Curiass noticing the new commit to the evaluation completion
might be cleaner.