Subject: bug#32544: [ELPA] core packages need generated files

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 11:52:24 -0400

>> I planned to do that by running "make" inside an LXC container, but my
>> attempts to make a lightweight LXC container on elpa.gnu.org failed se
>> far.
> For core packages, there would be the problem then where to get the
> Makefile from.

Yes, for core packages, there are additional issues, but I think they'd
be easy enough to address (we just need to choose where to keep that
extra Makefile).

>> Any help with this sysadmin side of things would be very welcome.
> Unfortunately, I also haven't enough experience with containers in order
> to be able to help you. There is the Emacs Docker project
> <https://hub.docker.com/r/silex/emacs>. Maybe the author, Philippe
> Vaucher, could help (I've added him in Cc).

Note that we don't need to run Emacs: we need to run makeinfo (and
potentially many other tools).  I tried to make an LXC container that
simply re-uses the host's filesystem (so it ends up barely more costly
than a chroot while providing a complete Debian system) and managed to
get it running on my own machine, but not on elpa.gnu.org.

        Stefan