Subject: bug#32539: Cuirass: a commit that updates doc will produce 86 tests

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 23:21:25 +0200

Hi Clément,

Clément Lassieur <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Evaluation 338[1] is triggered by commit 1d8d69c[2], which only updates
> the documentation.  This evaluation produces 86 useless tests:
> test.mcron.i686-linux, test.opensmtpd.i686-linux, etc.  I believe those
> tests are triggered at each evaluation (almost), and it's a considerable
> waste of resources.

I claim that these tests are useful and that having them under CI is a
good thing!

AFAICS the result of test.basic.*, test.mcron.*, etc. should be
unchanged when doc/*.texi are modified; if that’s not the case, we have
a bug. :-)   So there’s no waste of resources in this case.

However the tests in (gnu tests install) do entail a full build of Guix
from the checkout, among other things, at every commit, so they are
expensive.  They are useful though, so I’d rather keep it this way if
our build farm can keep up.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.