Subject: bug#32537: 26.1.50; Tramp: Cursor jumps when typing during asynchronous find-file

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2018 10:33:51 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> tramp-sh-handle-file-attributes enters its save-excursion form which
>> saves a marker pointing to 256 in *scratch* in the special binding stack
>> of Thread 10.
>
> Why does it call save-excursion if it is going to switch to another
> buffer?  The call to save-excursion is only needed if the program is
> about to move point in the current buffer.

Don't know. Several save-excursion calls are there for decades. They
didn't hurt until now (maybe some slight performance penalties).

I've removed some of them, where it looks appropriate. Pushed to the
feature/tramp-thread-safe branch. tramp-tests still pass successfully,
and the error as described in this bug didn't happen any more for me.

I've checked also the other tramp*.el files, but there isn't any
suspicious save-excursion use.

Gemini, could you pls crosscheck that it is fixed?

Thanks, and best regards, Michael.