Subject: Re: bug#32536: displayed width of man pages

From: hw <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2018 05:34:58 +0200

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Perhaps if they /can/ be reformatted dynamically, have a variable like
>> `Man-dynamic-reformat-lines-max' so users can prevent the reformatting
>> for instances in which it takes too long.
> [...]
>> Would it be possible to do the reformatting in the background, and
>> delayed, like fontifying a buffer?
>
> Man pages are already formatted asynchronously in the background,
> so actually reformatting on window resize should be quite responsible
> even for large manuals (maybe an addition flag is needed to prevent
> updating when a previous update is in progress).

and maybe something that prevents multiple update requests piling up
while the window is being resized, unless the flag already takes care of
that

> You can try and see how fast it reformats, typing repeatedly the key `u'
> (Man-update-manpage).

Ah, hm, ok, that's maybe 0.25 seconds for the man page of fvwm with 9441
lines.  It may not be a good test because the width does not change in
my case, and I have fast hardware.

Is there a reason for not to skip such an update when the length of the
lines did not change?

I didn't know you could update; this is like perfect because who prefers
dynamic updates can use those and who doesn't can use `u' if need be :)