Subject: Re: bug#32536: displayed width of man pages

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2018 09:14:16 +0200

> Regarding the request for dynamic reformatting, I'm not sure if
 > man pages should be reformatted on resizing windows (I remember
 > seeing a window resize hook, but can't find it now).

It's called 'window-size-change-functions'.

 > Such window resize is necessary also for some other modes,

Why "Such window resize"?  We talk about reformatting buffer contents
when a window gets resized for some reason.  We do not want to resize
the window when reformatting a man page because we know the length of
Man lines beforehand.

 > for example, when a visited image is saved to the desktop file,
 > it has a wrong size after loading the desktop, because the
 > image size is calculated when the image file is not yet displayed
 > in a window.  The image size should be recalculated after
 > displaying the image buffer.

This would be probably about fitting a window to the image it
displays.  But why do we have to display the image first and then
recalculate its size?  Don't we know the image size in advance?

martin