Subject: Re: bug#32536: displayed width of man pages

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 08:54:39 +0200

> As proposed in https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=9385
 > this patch implements a new option "Maximum width" as a hard limit
 > that prevents the width to grow over this value:

While you're there could you please do some idiomatic changes that
avoid selecting a window in order to calculate its width:

For example, replace

(let ((width
        (if (window-live-p (get-buffer-window (current-buffer) t))
	   (with-selected-window (get-buffer-window (current-buffer) t)
	     (window-width))
	 (window-width)))))

with something like

(window-width (get-buffer-window nil t))

and

(if (window-live-p (get-buffer-window (current-buffer) t))
     (with-selected-window (get-buffer-window (current-buffer) t)
       (frame-width))
   (frame-width))

with something like

(let ((window (get-buffer-window nil t)))
   (frame-width (and window (window-frame window))))

Probably you also want to add a version tag for 'Man-width'.

Thanks, martin