Subject: bug#32531: closed (Re: bug#32531: Emacs 27 crash with `memory-use-counts')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 14:55:02 +0000

Your bug report

#32531: Emacs 27 crash with `memory-use-counts'

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
32531: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=32531
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#32531: Emacs 27 crash with `memory-use-counts'
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Karl Otness <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 17:54:03 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Karl Otness <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2018 22:50:25 -0500
> 
> I've observed a crash with Emacs master (version as of a couple days
> ago). To reproduce with "emacs -q" just eval (memory-use-counts) in
> scratch. Printing or manipulating the list causes the crash.
> 
> The cause seems to that listn is called with a length of 8 rather than
> 7 in the source of memory-use-counts (alloc.c line 7020) when only
> seven elements are specified. Might be leftover from getting rid of
> misc. Bumping that number down to 7 fixed the crash for me.

Thanks, fixed.

Subject: Emacs 27 crash with `memory-use-counts'
From: Karl Otness <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2018 22:50:25 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I've observed a crash with Emacs master (version as of a couple days
ago). To reproduce with "emacs -q" just eval (memory-use-counts) in
scratch. Printing or manipulating the list causes the crash.

The cause seems to that listn is called with a length of 8 rather than
7 in the source of memory-use-counts (alloc.c line 7020) when only
seven elements are specified. Might be leftover from getting rid of
misc. Bumping that number down to 7 fixed the crash for me.

I didn't attach a patch since it's a one-line change, but if it would
be easier for me to put one together I'd be happy to come back with
one.

Thanks,
Karl