Subject: bug#32526: 26.1; Fetching of emails for INBOX hangs

From: Thomas Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2018 08:19:18 +0200

Hi,

when I try to read emails via IMAP in GNUS on this old x86_32 laptop,
the fetching of emails seems to hang for some reason:

Groups:
       0: nnimap+imap.web.de:INBOX
     167: nnimap+imap.web.de:Trash
     294: nnimap+imap.web.de:Unbekannt
     413: nnimap+imap.web.de:Unerwünscht

So I did enable debug-on-quit and got this:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit)
  gnus-uncompress-range((1 . 1374046600.0))
  gnus-articles-to-read("nnimap+imap.web.de:INBOX" t)
  gnus-select-newsgroup("nnimap+imap.web.de:INBOX" t nil)
  gnus-summary-read-group-1("nnimap+imap.web.de:INBOX" t t nil nil nil)
  gnus-summary-read-group("nnimap+imap.web.de:INBOX" t t nil nil nil nil)
  gnus-group-read-group(nil t)
  gnus-group-select-group(nil)
  funcall-interactively(gnus-group-select-group nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-group-select-group nil nil)
  command-execute(gnus-group-select-group)

Any ideas what could be the culprit here?
As a fun fact emacs gnus with the same imap server seems to work
correctly on an other x86_64 laptop.

any hints are welcome.

with kind regards
thomas

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, i686-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
 of 2018-06-26 built on buildhw-06.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Recent messages:
Mark activated
Mark set
previous-line: Beginning of buffer
delete-backward-char: Beginning of buffer [3 times]
next-line: End of buffer [5 times]
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only
Quit
previous-line: Beginning of buffer [5 times]
Making completion list... [2 times]
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only [2 times]

Configured using:
 'configure --build=i686-redhat-linux-gnu --host=i686-redhat-linux-gnu
 --program-prefix= --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr
 --exec-prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin
 --sysconfdir=/etc --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include
 --libdir=/usr/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets --with-modules
 build_alias=i686-redhat-linux-gnu host_alias=i686-redhat-linux-gnu
 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS -fexceptions
 -fstack-protector-strong -grecord-gcc-switches
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m32 -march=i686
 -mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection
 -fcf-protection' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY ACL
LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES THREADS XWIDGETS LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  cursor-sensor-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  gpm-mouse-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug sendmail cl-print debug cus-start cus-load sort
gnus-cite ansi-color url-util url-parse url-vars shr svg xml dom
browse-url mm-archive mail-extr gnus-bcklg qp gnus-async gnus-ml
disp-table cl-extra help-mode novice cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh utf-7
network-stream nsm auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs starttls nnfolder nnnil gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime dig mailcap nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc
nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rmc puny seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv dired dired-loaddefs format-spec
rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit cl-loaddefs
cl-lib t-mouse term/linux time-date elec-pair tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting xwidget-internal move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 18379535 15373)
 (symbols 24 30254 2)
 (miscs 20 770 667)
 (strings 16 56348 11062)
 (string-bytes 1 1758132)
 (vectors 12 23268)
 (vector-slots 4 648340 45796)
 (floats 8 1324 624)
 (intervals 28 4247 892)
 (buffers 536 36))