Subject: bug#3252: 23.0.93; extremely slow to open file on windows network drive

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 21:19:13 +0300

> Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 11:16:34 +0100
> From: Chris Withers <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> >>> How about the time to visit
> >>> it with "M-x find-file-literally RET"?
> >> No, this is instantaneous.
> > 
> > Is "M-x find-file-literally RET" instantaneous when the file is on the
> > networked drive as well?
> 
> Yes

OK.  I asked before, but I don't think you answered: does this file
include non-ASCII characters?

Also, what happens if you use "C-x C-f" to visit an identical file on
the networked drive, but whose name ends with a .txt extension? do you
see any significant change in the time it takes?  If visiting a .txt
file is also instantaneous, then please tell what version of Python
mode do you use.