Subject: bug#3252: 23.0.93; extremely slow to open file on windows network drive

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 00:49:11 -0400

> Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 23:06:10 +0100
> From: Chris Withers <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked], Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> 
> >   (setq vc-handled-backends nil)
> 
> With this, drag'n'drop time isstil about 8 seconds, and C-X d time is 
> about 12 seconds.
> 
> I guess it must be something else then...

I guess it is.

How large is the file, and what's in it?  Is it plain ASCII text or
does it have non-ASCII characters? if the latter, can you tell more
about the contents?

What mode does Emacs turn on when you visit that file?

Next, can you copy the file to your local filesystem and visit it from
there?  If you do, how much time does it take then?

Finally, is the time to visit the file with "C-x C-f" comparable with
the time needed when you drag-n-drop it?  How about the time to visit
it with "M-x find-file-literally RET"?