Subject: Re: bug#3252: 23.0.93; extremely slow to open file on windows network drive

From: Chris Withers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 11:35:04 +0100

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Interestingly, that's prettymuch instantaneous, as it should be.
>> However, a .cfg file (which openis in Conf[unix]) mode is just as slow as
>> the .py file.
> 
> Great: the mode used for .cfg files is much simpler than for Python
> files, so it should make it easier to find the problem.
> 
> What happens if you enable "Options => Enter Debugger on Quit/C-g" in
> the menu and than hit C-g during the 10s delay (try it at different
> moments of this 10s window, to see if/how the resulting backtrace
> changes)?

Okay, I enabled the debugger as requested, on trying to drag and drop, 
hitting C-g just cause the bell to sound, nothing happened and the delay 
wasn't interrupted. In fact, when the file was eventually opened, the 
debugger didn't even pick up and give me a backtrace.

Opening another .cfg file with C-x C-f also had a bit of the 
bell-not-debugger problem when hitting C-g, but it did eventually give 
me the following backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit)
   locate-dominating-file("//Server2/chris/folder/file.cfg" 
".dir-locals.el")
   dir-locals-find-file("//Server2/chris/folder/file.cfg")
   hack-dir-local-variables()
   hack-local-variables()
   normal-mode(t)
   after-find-file(nil t)
   find-file-noselect-1(#<buffer buildout.cfg> 
"//Server2/chris/folder/file.cfg" nil nil 
"//Server2/chris/folder/file.cfg" ((134283655 . 49251) 105972995))
   find-file-noselect("../buildout.cfg" nil nil t)
   find-file("../buildout.cfg" t)
   call-interactively(find-file nil nil)

cheers,

Chris - be warned, I know no lisp ;-)

-- 
Simplistix - Content Management, Zope & Python Consulting
            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk