Subject: [bug#32517] [PATCH 0/7] Fix git-annex dependencies.

From: Timothy Sample <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 19:53:31 -0400

Hi Leo,

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 11:07:12PM -0400, Timothy Sample wrote:
>> Hi Guix,
>> 
>> This patch fixes several Haskell packages needed for building git-annex.
>> Mostly the packages are updated to work with our new versions of
>> ghc-conduit and ghc-resourcet.
>
> Thanks! Can you clarify if git-annex is supposed to build with these
> patches?
>
> I applied them on recent master branch and tried building git-annex but
> ghc-aeson fails to build.

Yes!  I noticed this earlier today.  I made the patches before Arun
updated darcs and all of its dependencies.  One of the updated packages
is ghc-base-compat, which is now too new for ghc-aeson.  Unfortunately,
if we update ghc-aeson, we need to update ghc-text, which has around 300
dependencies.  I’m not sure how to proceed here.  The patches up to (but
excluding) ghc-persistent should be fine IIRC.

I didn’t look very closely into Arun’s changes to see if we could find a
set of mutually agreeable versions.  To do so would involve downgrading
packages that Arun changed, which seems undesirable.

Ricardo mentioned on IRC that we should try and update all of our
packages to the recent LTS versions, which would be ideal here.  The
blocker is getting GHC 8.4.3 to work (which I am working on).

Maybe this patch series should just be rejected for now.

Thank you for reviewing!

-- Tim