Subject: Re: bug#32510: xref-find-definitions should return file names, too

From: Ludovic Brenta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 17:54:59 +0200

Le 2019-07-18 17:16, Eli Zaretskii a écrit :
> [...] if there's only one match, xref goes
> there automatically and immediately, but if there are several
> candidate matches, xref shows them and allows you to select the one(s)
> you want.

Yes, this is exactly what happens.  We have thousands of source files
in our tree and most have names longer than 20 characters.  Our normal
usage pattern is to use partial matching.  Also your patch uses
tag-partial-file-name-match-p, not tag-full-file-name-match-p, so
it's not surprising that it should do partial matching with possibly
more than one match :)

With etags we were used to using "C-u M-." a couple times too, or
start over with a longer substring of the file name we wanted.

I'm not complaining about this new behavior; it will just take a
little getting used to.  Personally I like the fact that M-g M-n
works with the *xref* buffer like it does in a *compilation* buffer.

-- 
Ludovic Brenta.