Subject: Re: bug#32502: 27.0.50; Tramp; C-g during asynchronous remote find-file kills Emacs

From: Gemini Lasswell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 08:07:55 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Gemini Lasswell <[email-masked]>
>> 
>> I don't understand why this is so complicated.  Why not just have the
>> thread show a message, instead of having it send a signal which gets
>> translated into an event that makes the main thread show a message?
>
> Because the echo area could be showing something important from the
> main (or some other) thread, e.g. if the user typed "C-x C-f", but
> didn't yet finish responding to the request for the file name.
> Displaying something from another thread will wipe out that
> interaction's text.

In the feature/tramp-thread-safe branch, main thread prompts already get
wiped out by messages from other threads, even in the absence of errors.
For example, if you start an asynchronous find-file and type M-x before
it finishes, the M-x prompt will be overwritten by messages from Tramp
and won't reappear after the find-file finishes, until you type
something.