Subject: Re: bug#32501: Bouncing parentheses broken in REPL with vi-mode enabled

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 00:03:09 -0400

Hi again,

> Daniel Tam <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I've activated readline support for the Guile repl, but I've found that
>> if my inputrc enables vi-mode, then the bouncing parentheses feature
>> doesn't work. Disabling vi-mode does the trick.
>
> Indeed.  For some reason that I cannot determine, the bouncing
> parentheses feature is specifically disabled when the vi keymap is in
> use.

I think I now see the reason for it.  I noticed that readline's default
vi keymap includes a binding for '%', which jumps to the paren matching
the one under the cursor.  That reminded me, from many years ago when I
used vi more often, that this is the way that old vi traditionally
allows matching parens to be found.

So, I guess the decision long ago to disable bouncing parens when in vi
mode was to match the way that emacs and vi behaved at that time.

However, I just tried modern vim, and I see that it now highlights
matching parens by default.  So, we should probably remove the 'if' to
match this newer behavior.

       Mark