Subject: bug#32485: 27.0.50; Problem with zerop on 32-bit platforms

From: Andy Moreton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 22:28:00 +0100

On Mon 20 Aug 2018, Ken Brown wrote:

> On 8/20/2018 2:46 PM, Andy Moreton wrote:
>> On Mon 20 Aug 2018, Ken Brown wrote:
>>
>>> Evaluating (zerop (lsh -1 32)) on 32-bit Cygwin yields
>>>
>>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p
>>> -4294967296)
>>>
>>> I realize that the fate of lsh is still being debated, but I think
>>> there's a problem with zerop anyway, because directly evaluating (zerop
>>> -4294967296) leads to the same error.
>>
>> Could this be bug#32477 ? Please try the patch I posted in:
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2018-08/msg00467.html
>
> Yes, that does fix the error.  Thanks.

Good to confirm that its the same underlying problem (but note that an
update on that bug shows further fixes are needed).

> But let's leave the bug open, because vc-hg-state-fast might still need
> attention.  Currently (zerop (lsh -1 32)) returns nil on all platforms, so
> it's useless; but that might change.

Agreed. That may need fixing after the semantics of lsh are sorted out.

    AndyM