Subject: bug#32477: 27.0.50; `=` burps on bignums when compiled

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2018 19:14:49 -0400

Package: Emacs
Version: 27.0.50

If you try

    M-: (funcall (lambda (x) (= x x)) (expt 2 64)) RET

you'll unsurprisingly get t as result.  Yay!  But if you try

    M-: (funcall (byte-compile '(lambda (x) (= x x))) (expt 2 64)) RET

you should be prompted with an error stating that this largish number is
not a number-or-marker.  This error occurs for example when loading
elpa/packages/xelb/xcb-types.elc.

        Stefan

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
 of 2018-08-19 built on alfajor
Repository revision: 14acf8634c0b359fbbd3234dff65b40d9a12f26d
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid

Recent messages:
Wrote /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/src/lread.c
Finding changes in /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/src/alloc.c...done
Hunk undone
Saving file /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/src/alloc.c...
Wrote /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/src/alloc.c
Command: set annotate 1
t [2 times]
Entering debugger...
Continuing.
funcall: Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, 4294967296

Configured using:
 'configure -C --enable-checking --with-modules --enable-check-lisp-object-type
 'CFLAGS=-Wall -g3 -Og -Wno-pointer-sign'
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/monnier/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
GTK3 X11 MODULES THREADS LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_CH.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: InactiveMinibuffer

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  global-reveal-mode: t
  reveal-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  global-compact-docstrings-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  global-prettify-symbols-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/svg/svg hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/svg
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-mode hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/progmodes/ada-mode
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-stmt hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/progmodes/ada-stmt
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-prj hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/progmodes/ada-prj
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-xref hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/progmodes/ada-xref
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/hyperbole/set hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/emacs-lisp/set
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/landmark/landmark hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/obsolete/landmark
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/crisp/crisp hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/obsolete/crisp

Features:
(gud smerge-mode whitespace vc vc-dispatcher executable copyright
jka-compr lisp-mnt eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe help-fns
radix-tree qp xscheme unsafep trace testcover scheme re-builder profiler
inf-lisp ielm ert find-func ewoc debug elp edebug backtrace cl-indent
misearch multi-isearch cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit vc-git
diff-mode filecache sm-c-mode smie cl-print pp shadow sort mail-extr
emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils server time-date
flymake-proc flymake compile comint ansi-color ring warnings noutline
outline easy-mmode flyspell ispell checkdoc thingatpt load-dir elec-pair
reveal autoinsert proof-site proof-autoloads cl pg-vars savehist
minibuf-eldef disp-table compact-docstrings kotl-autoloads advice info
realgud-recursive-autoloads url-auth finder-inf package let-alist
derived pcase cl-extra help-mode easymenu cl-seq inline url-handlers
url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
cconv epg epg-config subr-x cl-loaddefs cl-lib mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win
x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite
charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face
macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 297615 57471)
 (symbols 24 33073 10) (strings 16 75336 4989) (string-bytes 1 2276426)
 (vectors 12 43711)
 (vector-slots 4 1379492 59400) (floats 8 138 166) (intervals 28 11552 75)
 (buffers 536 35))