Subject: bug#32471: 26.1; ispell throwing wrong-type-argument stringp nil on Windows 10, with emacs 26.1 and hunspell

From: Didier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 01:12:02 -0700

If I run hunspell -D from the command line, I get:

SEARCH PATH:
.;;C:\Hunspell\;C:\Users\didibus\.openoffice.org\3\user\wordbook;C:\Users\didibus\hunspell\bin\..\share\hunspell;C:\Program
files\OpenOffice.org 2.4\share\dict\ooo\;C:\Program files\OpenOffice.org
2.3\share\dict\ooo\;C:\Program files\OpenOffice.org
2.2\share\dict\ooo\;C:\Program files\OpenOffice.org
2.1\share\dict\ooo\;C:\Program files\OpenOffice.org 2.0\share\dict\ooo\
AVAILABLE DICTIONARIES (path is not mandatory for -d option):
C:\Users\didibus\hunspell\bin\..\share\hunspell\default
C:\Users\didibus\hunspell\bin\..\share\hunspell\en_GB
C:\Users\didibus\hunspell\bin\..\share\hunspell\en_US
Can't open affix or dictionary files for dictionary named "ENU".

I got the windows port of hunspell from here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/

When I do ispell-change-dictionary to en_US it says: (match required), and
nothing happens.

This is the content of my c:\Users\didibus\hunspell\share\hunspell folder:

README_en_GB.txt
README_en_US.txt
default.aff
default.dic
dictionary.lst
en_GB.aff
en_GB.dic
en_US.aff
en_US.dic

By the way, it seems I can get it to work if I add the following to my init
file:

    (setq ispell-dictionary "en_US")
    (setq ispell-dictionary-alist
          '(("en_US" "[[:alpha:]]" "[^[:alpha:]]" "[']"
             t ("-d" "en_US" "-p"
"C:\\Users\\didibus\\hunspell\\share\\hunspell\\en_US.aff") nil utf-8)))

But it's because ispell is not able to automatically populate
ispell-dictionary-alist, and ideally it should. In the mean time, I can
live with manually populating it.

Thank you

On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 at 12:09 Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2018 21:35:11 +0300
> > From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: [email-masked]
> >
> > > "Can't open affix or dictionary files for dictionary named \"ENU\".")
>
> This error message, btw, could be part of your configuration problem.
> Does it help to say
>
>   M-x ispell-change-dictionary RET en_US RET
>
> ?  If not, please tell what files do you have in the directory
> c:\Users\didibus\hunspell\share\hunspell.
>