Subject: Re: bug#32456: Guile failed to call package-derivation without pre-inst-env

From: Oleg Pykhalov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 00:11:38 +0300

Hello Ludovic,

[email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

[…]

>>> However, I don’t understand why guix/elf.scm is a symlink in your
>>> profile.  First that means you installed the ‘guix’ package in your
>>> profile, which is not recommended (better have it in the ‘guix
>>> pull’-managed profile.)
>>
>> I don't have ‘guix’ package installed, but I have one not published
>> package with one script inside.  The script is a modified version of
>> ‘guix edit’ script which opens a Hydra page for PACKAGE arguments.
>>
>> guix-browse	0.1-1.83022c9	out
>> /gnu/store/…-guix-browse-0.1-1.83022c9
>>
>> /gnu/store/…-guix-browse-0.1-1.83022c9/share/guile/site/2.2/guix/scripts/browse.scm
>
> Oh I see, that may be why guix/*.scm is a symlink (I’m guessing your
> package has ‘guix’ in ‘propagated-inputs’, right?).

Unfortunately, no.  The ‘guix’ package is not in propagated-inputs or in
any other inputs of ‘guix-browse’ package.

Taking a quick look onto ‘~/.guix-profile/manifest’ I found that the
‘gwl’ package has ‘guix’ inside ‘propagated-inputs’.

> (It looks like a nice tool BTW, you should tell us more about it.  ;-)
>
> I really think we should build more tools to interact with the CI
> system, sort-of like what ‘guix weather’ does.)

Sure, I will send an email after a refactoring.  :-) It doesn't do much
except calling a ‘$BROWSER’ though.

> I’ll see if I can work on the actual bug later on.

Thank you and be free to ask more information from me.

Oleg.