Subject: bug#32426: 27.0.50; Loosing key bindings in threads

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 18:16:00 +0300

> From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 12:05:12 +0200
> 
> > Maybe we need to start a new discussion on emacs-devel, once you read
> > that.
> 
> Yes, that's needed.

Started a discussion on emacs-devel.

> But I know that the proposal to disable keyboard reading for all
> threads but the main one is not working; see my example in
> bug#32426.

I'm not surprised.

> Perhaps we need this also for other events, D-Bus and file notifications
> come to mind.

Possibly, but those seem like an easier nut to crack: AFAIU, each time
we need to watch for D-Bus events, we register a file descriptor for
that, and deregister it when we no longer need it, is that right?  If
so, we could easily make these descriptors watched only by the thread
that registered the watch, the infrastructure for that already exists.

By contrast, there's only one keyboard descriptor.