Subject: bug#32426: 27.0.50; Loosing key bindings in threads

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 12:05:12 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Eli,

> I don't know, the discussion never reached any concrete conclusions.
> (And the more I think about that, the less I understand how a message
> pump could help: after all, keyboard input is already a kind of
> "message pump", on the OS level.  It seems we'd eventually have the
> same problem: how to allow multiple threads to read from the message
> pump.)
>
> Some additional discussion was in this thread:
>
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-12/msg00607.html
>
> Maybe we need to start a new discussion on emacs-devel, once you read
> that.

Yes, that's needed. I have also no idea how to fix. But I know that the
proposal to disable keyboard reading for all threads but the main one is
not working; see my example in bug#32426.

Perhaps we need this also for other events, D-Bus and file notifications
come to mind.

I fear I'm not the best one to reanimate this discussion. Keyboard
handling in Emacs is terra incognita for me.

Best regards, Michael.