Subject: Re: bug#32413: 25.2; When run as root, emacs writes dconf files in a non-root user's /run/user/XXX directory

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2018 11:41:30 -0400

Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> If you mean that it writes the history, then that's a usual shell
> thing, so that's OK.

The behaviour you complain about in the subject line is a usual X thing,
for "modern" (ie non-ancient) desktop applications, as was explained in
the referenced Debian bug reports you were pointed to.

> BTW, that's probably one of the reasons why "su" redefines HOME to the
> target user home directory by default.

And it's one of the reasons why the referenced reports discouraged
running desktop applications under plain "su". I'm sure in one of the
reports someone suggested modifying plain "su".

The specific example of dconf etc is not a bug, it's how these things
work. If you don't like it, use the configure option to disable that
feature (most programs won't give you that option). I think the general
principle of "Emacs should never create files/directories if the user
hasn't explicitly asked it to do that" is a non-starter.
So this report should be closed wontfix IMO.