Subject: bug#32403: closed (Re: bug#32403: 27.0.50; cc mode: c-display-defun-name doesn't work when return type is a pointer)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 16:28:02 +0000

Your bug report

#32403: 27.0.50; cc mode: c-display-defun-name doesn't work when return type is a pointer

which was filed against the emacs,cc-mode package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
32403: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=32403
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#32403: 27.0.50; cc mode: c-display-defun-name doesn't work when return type is a pointer
From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
To: Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]>
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 16:27:47 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello, Mauro.

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 11:40:38 -0300, Mauro Aranda wrote:
> Hi Alan,

> The fix works great.  Thank you!

Thanks for the testing!  I'm closing the bug.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

Subject: 27.0.50; cc mode: c-display-defun-name doesn't work when return type is a pointer
From: Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2018 17:18:58 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello. I'm sending this report here because I tested in GNU Emacs 26.1.50
and the problem is not present. If it belongs to the CC Mode mailing list,
please let me know.

I run: emacs -Q and visit a C file.

Inside a function that doesn't return a pointer, c-display-defun-name works
just fine. Example:

int
dummy_returnint(int ret)
{
  return ret;
}

Minibuffer displays: dummy_returnint

But when the function returns a pointer, c-display-defun-name fails to
display the function name in the minibuffer. Example:

int *
dummy_returnpointertoint(int *ret)
{
  return ret;
}

Minibuffer displays nothing

CC mode version is 5.33.1 in both.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 2, i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2018-08-08 built on the-blackbeard
Repository revision: c85ff212dcd0817b833032650f1d52850e8a3c2e
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description: Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 THREADS LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: es_AR.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS:
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: C/*l

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr help-fns radix-tree help-mode emacsbug message
rmc puny seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv dired
dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived
epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs cl-loaddefs cl-lib misearch multi-isearch jka-compr info
easymenu elec-pair time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 144019 19238)
 (symbols 24 22989 1)
 (miscs 20 89 398)
 (strings 16 39537 2547)
 (string-bytes 1 1168068)
 (vectors 12 17763)
 (vector-slots 4 584268 27730)
 (floats 8 66 344)
 (intervals 28 4892 66)
 (buffers 536 16)
 (heap 1024 29018 999))