Subject: bug#32393: coreutils-8.30 'mv' error for file on libfuse mounted shares

From: John Stanley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2018 00:30:55 -0400

Hi,
With coreutils-8.30, I'm getting a strange error for the 'mv' command 
when used to rename a file mounted as a 'fuse' share:

$ mv ~/mnt/sshfs/status-2018080{6,7}
mv: cannot move '/home/john/mnt/sshfs/status-20180806' to 
'/home/john/mnt/sshfs/status-20180807': Numerical result out of range

$ mv ~/mnt/sshfs/qq ~/mnt/sshfs/qqq
mv: cannot move '/home/john/mnt/sshfs/qq' to '/home/john/mnt/sshfs/qqq': 
Numerical result out of range

This does not occur for coreutils-8.29, and appears to be associated 
with the SYS_renameat2 syscall added in version 8.30. It also does not 
occur for 'local' file renaming.

The error "Numerical result out of range" looks like it may be coming 
from the network stack via 'fuse.'

I realize that this error may be coming from a number of places other 
than coreutils 'mv' (e.g., the kernel/fuse area, sshfs, or libfuse, but 
I'm wondering if anyone intimately familiar with the SYS_renameat2 
rework in coreutils-8.30 'mv' might have any ideas on how to pin this 
one done.

*** My System Info:
   x86_64-pc-linux-gnu  (This is a freshly re-built source-based system)
   linux-headers.4.17.13_x86_64_smp1, gcc.8.2.0, glibc.2.27, 
binutils.2.31.1, coreutils.8.30

thanks much,
John