Subject: bug#32372: [PATCH] Add "uuid" to thing-at-point.el

From: Ivan Shmakov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2018 06:37:12 +0000

>>>>> Basil L Contovounesios <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>>> Raimon Grau <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>>> Ivan Shmakov <[email-masked]> writes:

 >>> While either ‘and’ or ‘if’ can be used here, to exactly the same
 >>> effect, the indentation above is one for ‘if’; ‘and’ should instead
 >>> look like:

 >>> (and (thing-at-point-looking-at thing-at-point-uuid-regexp 36)
 >>>      (cons (match-beginning 0) (match-end 0)))

 >>> I think in this case it’s marginally better to keep indentation and
 >>> replace ‘and’ with ‘if’ than the other way around.

 >> What about ‘when’?  Is it ok to use it?

	Yes.  Actually, I’ve somehow confused if with when in the above
	comment; with if, the indentation will be like:

   (if (thing-at-point-looking-at thing-at-point-uuid-regexp 36)
       (cons (match-beginning 0) (match-end 0)))

 >> One branch 'if' look funny to me but I don’t see many (any?) ‘when’
 >> in the emacs codebase.

 > If you grep the codebase you will see countless occurrences of and,
 > or, if-then, if-then-else, when, unless, etc.

 > What to use here is a mostly a matter of personal style, and a bit of
 > a bikeshed at that, so you are likely to get varied opinions.  At the
 > end of the day it doesn’t really matter what you go with.

	Yes.

[…]

-- 
FSF associate member #7257  np. Undercurrent — Jami Sieber