Subject: bug#32360: gst-plugins-base has test failures (when built as a dependency)

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2018 13:16:42 -0400

On Fri, Aug 03, 2018 at 01:38:58PM +0200, Björn Höfling wrote:
> What I find strange is that the derivation of gst-plugins-base differs
> from the one above when directly building gst-plugins-base. That would
> make sense to me if there would be two packages of gst-plugins-base,
> like an inherited one or just any kind of copy. But here, the package
> definition of wine ist just using the "normal" package. Or have I
> overlooked something? Have I misunderstood something about derivations
> here?!

Presumably, you are using an x86_64 computer, and the successful build
of gst-plugins-base is for an x86_64-linux system. However, the wine
package and its dependency graph is always built as 32-bit software,
regardless of the underlying architecture:

From gnu/packages/wine.scm:
------
    (arguments
     `(;; Force a 32-bit build targeting a similar architecture, i.e.:
       ;; armhf for armhf/aarch64, i686 for i686/x86_64.
       #:system ,@(match (%current-system)
                    ((or "armhf-linux" "aarch64-linux")
                     `("armhf-linux"))
                    (_  
                     `("i686-linux")))
------

And the test failure in the 32-bit build of gst-plugins base was
previously discussed on help-guix (no bug report):

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2018-06/msg00075.html