Subject: 26.1; Disabling flymake from file-local eval is buggy

From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2018 18:02:10 -0300

Just try putting this in test.el and reopening it:

    ;; -*- eval: (flymake-mode -1) -*-

    (1 1)

Flymake will be off, it won't write anything to the modeline but the
fringe and in-buffer underline indicators will still be there.

If you eval the same expression using M-: after the buffer is loaded
flymake mode is fully turned off as expected.

---

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
 of 2018-07-05 built on juergen
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12000000
Recent messages:
Ignoring unknown mode ‘(flymake-mode -1)-mode’
Malformed mode-line: "(flymake-mode -1)" [2 times]
next-line: End of buffer
Saving file /tmp/test.el...
Wrote /tmp/test.el
next-line: End of buffer
Mark set
Mark activated
previous-line: Beginning of buffer
next-line: End of buffer
Quit
Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft --with-modules
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 -fno-plt' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
GTK3 X11 MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  whitespace-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  pyvenv-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  xclip-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: yas--auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail cl-print eieio-opt speedbar sb-image
ezimage dframe autoload lisp-mnt vc-git whitespace server
display-line-numbers checkdoc pdf-occur ibuf-ext ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs tablist tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp
semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util
semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local cedet dired
dired-loaddefs pdf-isearch let-alist pdf-misc imenu pdf-tools pdf-view
bookmark pp jka-compr pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util image-mode
org-protocol org-element avl-tree generator org org-macro org-footnote
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs cl-extra yasnippet
elec-pair highlight-indentation flymake-proc flymake warnings help-fns
radix-tree help-mode elpy find-file-in-project ivy delsel colir color
ivy-overlay ffap thingatpt windmove diff-mode easy-mmode elpy-shell
pyvenv esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg
esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util elpy-profile elpy-django
elpy-refactor subr-x python tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs
trampver ucs-normalize shell pcomplete parse-time format-spec advice
json map grep compile comint ansi-color files-x doom-themes-org
doom-tomorrow-night-theme doom-themes doom-themes-common company-oddmuse
company-keywords company-etags etags xref project company-gtags
company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files company-capf
company-cmake company-xcode company-clang company-semantic company-eclim
company-template company-bbdb xclip winner ring paren
ido-completing-read+ memoize s cus-edit minibuf-eldef ido gnus nnheader
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums time-date
mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit company edmacro kmacro pcase
cus-start cus-load finder-inf info package easymenu epg-config
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 652735 28267)
 (symbols 48 44899 1)
 (miscs 40 358 449)
 (strings 32 132698 3516)
 (string-bytes 1 3796567)
 (vectors 16 68717)
 (vector-slots 8 1139230 20802)
 (floats 8 525 343)
 (intervals 56 1048 157)
 (buffers 992 30))