Subject: [bug#32346] [PATCH 0/6] TOR via Unix domain SOCKS socket

From: Chris Marusich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2018 23:45:20 -0700

Hi,

This patch series makes it possible to use our TOR service over a Unix
domain socket.  Specifically, after applying this patch series you can
configure the TOR service as follows:

    (service tor-service-type
             (tor-configuration (socks-socket-type 'unix)))

This configures the TOR daemon to run its SOCKS proxy on the Unix
domain socket "/var/run/tor/socks-sock" rather than localhost port
9050.  The SOCKS socket is made group-writable so that any member of
the "tor" group may connect to it.

Along the way, this patch series also adds system tests for TOR and
adds a tiny bit of functionality to the marionette test framework.

This patch series applies cleanly to commit
0d206dd054b74279838d44029c52a5f7663de189.  For each patch in the
series, I've verified that (1) Guix builds successfully and (2) both
the new "tor" system test and the existing "dhcpd" system test pass.
I ran the "dhcpd" system test as a sanity test to make sure I didn't
introduce a regression in existing system tests.  I'm currently
reconfiguring my GuixSD system to confirm that it works for real, but
it's going to take a long time for the reconfigure to succeed, so I'm
sending the patch series now.

Regarding hidden services, I haven't changed anything intentionally,
so it should continue to work as before.  I'll also test hidden
services, but that's also going to take more time because I've never
done it before, and I have to wait for my system to build many things.

I'll let you know if it all works after I reconfigure my system.  In
the meantime, please take a look at the patches.  Thank you!

Chris Marusich (6):
  services: tor: Add a system test.
  services: tor: Rename activation procedure.
  marionette: Add support for QEMU's "quit" command.
  marionette: Add wait-for-unix-socket.
  tests: tor: Add more test cases.
  services: tor: Make it easier to use UNIX sockets.

 doc/guix.texi               | 52 +++++++++++++++++---
 gnu/build/marionette.scm    | 28 ++++++++++-
 gnu/services/networking.scm | 34 ++++++++++---
 gnu/tests/networking.scm    | 97 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-
 4 files changed, 196 insertions(+), 15 deletions(-)

-- 
2.18.0