Subject: bug#32338: closed (Re: bug#32338: 26.1; term.el broken on macOS)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2018 16:16:02 +0000

Your bug report

#32338: 26.1; term.el broken on macOS

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
32338: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=32338
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#32338: 26.1; term.el broken on macOS
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Constantine Vetoshev <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2018 19:15:06 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Constantine Vetoshev <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2018 12:21:26 -0700
> Cc: Alan Third <[email-masked]>, Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 7:59 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > So please try the patch below with the emacs-26 branch, and see if the
> > problem goes away.
> 
> Yes, that fixed it! Thanks!

Thanks, pushed to the release branch.

Subject: 26.1; term.el broken on macOS
From: Constantine Vetoshev <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 15:29:21 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

M-x term nor M-x ansi-term both cause Emacs to lock up on macOS
10.13.4. Steps to reproduce with -Q:

1. M-x ansi-term
2. Type in /bin/bash, hit Enter

You'll notice that a prompt does not appear in the resulting window
(*ansi-term* buffer). Hit Enter. Emacs will display "Writing to process:
Input/output error, *ansi-term*" in the minibuffer. If you started Emacs
from the terminal, it will display "Fatal error 4: Illegal
instruction". After this, Emacs becomes unstable and will eventually
stop responding to input. All this worked fine in 25.3 and earlier
(i.e., a shell prompt appears and can be readily used).

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin17.5.0, NS
appkit-1561.40 Version 10.13.4 (Build 17E202))
 of 2018-05-29 built on athena
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1561
Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns'

Configured features:
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS THREADS

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils elec-pair time-date
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote kqueue cocoa ns
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 203885 9219)
 (symbols 48 20051 1)
 (miscs 40 43 146)
G (strings 32 28780 1228)
 (string-bytes 1 760308)
 (vectors 16 34997)
 (vector-slots 8 713320 17782)
 (floats 8 48 68)
 (intervals 56 202 0)
 (buffers 992 11))