Subject: bug#32338: 26.1; term.el broken on macOS

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2018 08:59:57 +0300

> From: Constantine Vetoshev <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2018 16:52:40 -0700
> Cc: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 10:42 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Thanks for your efforts.  I hope one of the NS experts will chime in
> > soon.
> 
> After bisecting between 25.3 and 26.1, I tracked down the breaking
> commit, 4cdd14eabe5a6121691daa2d9c5e814c5f53f3e5.

Amazing!  Thank you for your efforts.

> Checking my (macOS) system, rlim_t seems to be typedefed to
> __uint64_t, which definitely makes a difference, though I admit the
> nature of the crash is rather mystifying compared to what has actually
> changed. Eli, since you were working on this, any ideas about the
> right approach to fixing the problem

Please show the definition of 'struct rlimit' on your system.  It
should be in the header sys/resource.h, I think.  Then perhaps I will
have some insight.

> other than blindly reverting the change?

Reverting the change is out of the question, sorry.  The 'long' data
type used there before the change is too narrow to support some of the
systems which use this code.  We will have to find another solution,
if indeed this is the problem.  But first we need to understand the
problem.

Thanks.