Subject: bug#32335: closed (Re: 25.3; delete-trailing-whitespace doesn't delete tabs that follow form feeds)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 18:37:02 +0000

Your bug report

#32335: 25.3; delete-trailing-whitespace doesn't delete tabs that follow form feeds

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
32335: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=32335
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: 25.3; delete-trailing-whitespace doesn't delete tabs that follow form feeds
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: Eric Hanchrow <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 11:36:33 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Thanks for reporting the problem. However, I can't reproduce the bug in 
Emacs 26 and the function in question has evolved since Emacs 25.3, so I 
am boldly closing this bug report. If you are still observing the 
problem in Emacs 26 or later, please let me know and I'll reopen it.

Subject: 25.3; delete-trailing-whitespace doesn't delete tabs that follow form feeds
From: Eric Hanchrow <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 09:00:37 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Put the following Emacs Lisp into a file named repro.el:

    (get-buffer-create "repro")
    (fundamental-mode)
    (erase-buffer)
    (set-variable 'show-trailing-whitespace t)
    (dotimes (_ 3)
      (insert "x\t\n\f\t\n"))
    (message "%s" (substitute-command-keys "Now type
\\[delete-trailing-whitespace]"))

Now invoke emacs with `-Q --load repro.el`.  You'll see a buffer with a
few lines, each with a red smear at the end indicating trailing
whitespace (the TAB character).

Now, like the echo area is telling you, type M-x
delete-trailing-whitespace RET.  You'll see the red go away on half the
lines (the ones with an "x") but remain on the lines with form feeds.

It's not entirely clear if this is a bug at all, since the doc for
delete-trailing-whitespace doesn't specifically mention this situation;
but it does say that that function considers form feeds to be _not_
whitespace, and also that the function deletes whitespace at the ends of
lines, so it seems it ought to have deleted _all_ the tabs in this case.

In GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS appkit-1265.21 Version
10.9.5 (Build 13F1911))
 of 2017-09-12 built on builder10-9.local
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1404
Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules'

Configured features:
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  global-magit-file-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  csv-field-index-mode: t
  pyvenv-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
History item: 279 [3 times]
Mark saved where search started
Truncate long lines enabled
Mark saved where search started
Mark set [3 times]
Invoking man open in the background
open man page formatted
Mark saved where search started
Making completion list...
Scanning for dabbrevs...done

Load-path shadows:
/Users/erichan/.emacs.d/elpa/let-alist-1.0.5/let-alist hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/emacs-lisp/let-alist

Features:
(shadow mail-extr emacsbug sendmail tabify man apropos debug eieio-opt
speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe descr-text log-view git-rebase
magit-extras vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs bug-reference vc
vc-dispatcher url-file url-dired url-cache disp-table sgml-mode
url-handlers dired-aux wdired calccomp calc-alg calc-menu calc-ext
calc-aent calc calc-loaddefs calc-macs rect dabbrev misearch
multi-isearch magit-bookmark magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash
magit-bisect magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes
magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset
magit-collab ghub url-http url-gw url-auth let-alist magit-files
magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip
magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff magit-core magit-autorevert
magit-process magit-margin magit-mode git-commit magit-git magit-section
magit-utils crm magit-popup log-edit message rfc822 mml mml-sec epg
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log with-editor
async-bytecomp async server cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs conf-mode csv-mode sort
org-element org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus org-docview
doc-view jka-compr image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m org
org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs sh-script smie executable
smerge-mode company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags company-gtags
company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files company-cmake
company-xcode company-clang company-eclim company-template company-css
company-nxml company-bbdb highlight-indentation company elpy
find-file-in-project ivy delsel colir ivy-overlay ffap windmove
elpy-shell pyvenv esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc
esh-arg esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util elpy-profile
elpy-django s elpy-refactor files-x etags xref project cus-edit
ruler-mode yasnippet flyspell ispell markdown-mode color noutline
outline projectile thingatpt desktop frameset cus-start cus-load
savehist work-log-mode warnings bookmark flymake python tramp-sh tramp
tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell pcomplete json map edit-list
pp browse-kill-ring advice eww mm-url gnus gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils
url-queue url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core
gnus-util mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars mailcap
shr dom subr-x browse-url format-spec ws-butler dired-subtree
dired-hacks-utils dash wat derived autorevert filenotify recentf
tree-widget wid-edit ido vc-git diff-mode ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuf-macs
hl-line dired-x dired grep compile comint ansi-color ring find-func
rotate cl cl-macs cl-seq face-remap edmacro kmacro tls gnutls
use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode use-package-core finder-inf
info package epg-config seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra
help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib rx time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel ns-win ucs-normalize term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 847442 81694)
 (symbols 48 65197 0)
 (miscs 40 5271 10928)
 (strings 32 197662 8798)
 (string-bytes 1 5932111)
 (vectors 16 82902)
 (vector-slots 8 2052903 228453)
 (floats 8 1011 325)
 (intervals 56 64230 72)
 (buffers 976 134))