Subject: bug#32306: 26.1; Emacs 26.1 RC1 (gtk) display issues over SSH/X11 with xming/vcxsrv

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2018 16:52:05 -0400

1. build emacs 26 with --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
2. login to windows box, launch ssh -X putty session to linux host with
emacs 26 installed.  (windows xserver: vcxsrv or xming) 
3. emacs -Q
4. emacs does not display correctly. Missing minibuffer, & can't type in buffer.  Compare to attached screenshot.

I can compile Emacs 26.1 RC1 ok, and use it locally on the host fine.

However, when attempting to ssh -X to host via PuTTY 0.70 and launch the
Emacs gui (emacs -Q), emacs is not displaying correctly. See attached screenshot -
no default welcome screen, and missing minibuffer too. Using Windows
xserver program VcXsrv (1.19.6.3).

I suspect this issue is related to some combination of GTK and
Xming/VcXsrv, however the behavior does change between Emacs 25.3 and 26.1 RC1, see table below:

I'ved tried the follow commits, and only 25.3 is ok over PuTTY/SSH/X11 & xming/vcxsrv
 emacs-25.3 bd299e7       # Sep 12, 2017  # good
 emacs-26.0.90  906224    # Oct 11, 2017  # bad
 emacs-26.0.91 752fba99   # Jan 13, 2018  # bad
 emacs-26.1-rc1 c2674216  # Apr 9, 2018   # bad

The following ./configure options are desired:
--with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xwidgets  --with-modules --with-mailutils
Where gtk3 is required for xwidgets, so other x-toolkits are not the best solution.
Also --with-x-toolkit=gtk2  has same issues.

Additional infomation posted here:
 - https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/41021/emacs-26-1-rc1-display-issues-over-ssh-x11-with-xming-vcxsrv
Possibly related posts:
 - https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/40990/emacs-aborted-core-dumped-centos-7-0-emacs-25-3-please-help
 - https://bugs.launchpad.net/elementaryos/+bug/1355274
 - https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=85715

Also attempted on CentOS 7 / GTK+ Version 3.22.10 with similiar behavior.

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.20.10)
 of 2018-04-10 built on atlas
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11803000
System Description:	openSUSE Leap 42.3

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xwidgets --with-modules
 --with-mailutils --prefix=/home/brian/sandbox/emacs_26.1'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES
THREADS XWIDGETS LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils elec-pair time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting xwidget-internal
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 95213 9039)
 (symbols 48 20393 2)
 (miscs 40 74 143)
 (strings 32 28418 1528)
 (string-bytes 1 751586)
 (vectors 16 14028)
 (vector-slots 8 493536 10574)
 (floats 8 49 68)
 (intervals 56 229 0)
 (buffers 992 12)
 (heap 1024 41537 1116))