Subject: bug#32304: 27.0.50; tramp-tests issue with double slash

From: Andy Moreton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 15:46:02 +0100

On Sun 29 Jul 2018, Michael Albinus wrote:

> Ken Brown <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> Hi Ken,
>
>> "//" has a special meaning at the beginning of a file name on Cygwin and
>> MS-Windows; see the comment near the beginning of
>> search_embedded_absfilename.  So I don't think there's a real bug here.

POSIX specifies that "//" is handled in an implementation defined
manner, so Cygwin and Windows are not really special.

See POSIX section 4.13 Pathname Resolution:

    A pathname consisting of a single <slash> shall resolve to the root
    directory of the process. A null pathname shall not be successfully
    resolved. If a pathname begins with two successive <slash> characters,
    the first component following the leading <slash> characters may be
    interpreted in an implementation-defined manner, although more than two
    leading <slash> characters shall be treated as a single <slash>
    character.

<http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/V1_chap04.html#tag_04_13>