Subject: bug#32298: 26.1.50; Emacs gtk system tooltips are not shown as tooltips

From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2018 13:09:22 -0300

This happens at least in the popular i3 window manager and was
reported to their tracker [1]. Please read that report, there are lots
of details there, including xprop and xwininfo outputs for the
tooltips.

The weird thing is that emacs gtk tooltips haven't any tooltip related
property set. I'm not sure whether this is because of the way I've
called xprop and xwininfo on them (again, details in [1]) or what, but
the problem is that the window manager is trying to manage them since it
can't indentify them as tooltips and, so, they're not themed as the gtk
theme specifies for tooltips.

---

[1] https://github.com/i3/i3/issues/3334

---

In GNU Emacs 26.1.50 (build 4, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
 of 2018-07-24 built on archlinux
Repository revision: f64c2774e96c755a5fddcbc49db65dcc3fcb9323
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12000000
Recent messages:
Saving file /home/carlos/.config/polybar/config...
Wrote /home/carlos/.config/polybar/config
Saving file /home/carlos/.config/polybar/config...
Wrote /home/carlos/.config/polybar/config
Saving file /home/carlos/.config/polybar/config...
Wrote /home/carlos/.config/polybar/config
Saving file /home/carlos/.config/polybar/config...
Wrote /home/carlos/.config/polybar/config
Saving file /home/carlos/.config/polybar/config...
Wrote /home/carlos/.config/polybar/config

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/carlos/local/stow/emacs-26
 --libexecdir=/home/carlos/local/stow/emacs-26/lib --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-xft --with-modules'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS
LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11
MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Conf[Unix]

Minor modes in effect:
  global-magit-file-mode: t
  magit-file-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  auto-revert-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  pyvenv-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  xclip-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail conf-mode misearch
multi-isearch cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs autoload lisp-mnt magit-bookmark
magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash magit-bisect magit-remote
magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag
magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-collab ghub-graphql ghub
url-http tls gnutls url-gw nsm url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
mailcap magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos
magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func magit-diff smerge-mode
magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-process
magit-margin magit-mode git-commit magit-git magit-section magit-utils
crm magit-popup log-edit message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived
epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log with-editor async-bytecomp async
server dash display-line-numbers checkdoc pdf-occur ibuf-ext ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs tablist tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp
semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util
semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local find-func
cedet dired dired-loaddefs pdf-isearch let-alist pdf-misc imenu
pdf-tools pdf-view bookmark pp jka-compr pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util
image-mode vc-git cl-extra yasnippet elec-pair highlight-indentation
flymake-proc flymake warnings help-fns radix-tree help-mode elpy
find-file-in-project ivy delsel colir color ivy-overlay ffap thingatpt
windmove diff-mode easy-mmode elpy-shell pyvenv esh-var esh-io esh-cmd
esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode
esh-util elpy-profile elpy-django elpy-refactor subr-x python tramp-sh
tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize shell pcomplete
parse-time format-spec advice json map grep compile comint ansi-color
files-x doom-themes-org doom-tomorrow-night-theme doom-themes
doom-themes-common company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags
xref project company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev
company-files company-capf company-cmake company-xcode company-clang
company-semantic company-eclim company-template company-bbdb xclip
winner ring paren ido-completing-read+ memoize s cus-edit minibuf-eldef
ido gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit company edmacro kmacro
pcase cus-start cus-load finder-inf info package easymenu epg-config
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win
x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 592336 40228)
 (symbols 48 46115 2)
 (miscs 40 1417 633)
 (strings 32 121941 4601)
 (string-bytes 1 3733468)
 (vectors 16 77957)
 (vector-slots 8 1939207 219996)
 (floats 8 513 655)
 (intervals 56 2194 90)
 (buffers 992 28))