Subject: Re: bug#3228: 23.0.93; GTK font selection: asked for Courier, got Nimbus

From: Sven Joachim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 20:32:09 +0200

On 2009-05-07 13:51 +0200, Kenichi Handa wrote:

> In article <[email-masked]>, Sven Joachim <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> ftfont-list: -adobe-courier-*--*-m-*-iso10646-1
> [...]
>
> It's strange that the first font listing is for that
> pattern.  The first one should be:
>
> ftfont-list: -Adobe-courier-*-iso8859-1
>
> Are you sure that you followed the above procedure exactly
> without doing anything else?

Yes.  It is probably due to my X resource setting:

Emacs.font:-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--*-120-*-*-m-*-iso10646-1

Should I replace iso10646 with iso8859?

> And please show me the result of this too:
>
> % xlsfonts -fn '-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal-*'

-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-15
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-2
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--0-0-100-100-m-0-iso10646-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--0-0-100-100-m-0-iso8859-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--0-0-75-75-m-0-iso10646-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--0-0-75-75-m-0-iso8859-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--10-100-75-75-m-60-iso10646-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--10-100-75-75-m-60-iso10646-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--10-100-75-75-m-60-iso8859-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--10-100-75-75-m-60-iso8859-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--11-80-100-100-m-60-iso10646-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--11-80-100-100-m-60-iso10646-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--11-80-100-100-m-60-iso8859-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--11-80-100-100-m-60-iso8859-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-m-70-iso10646-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-m-70-iso10646-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-m-70-iso8859-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-m-70-iso8859-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--14-100-100-100-m-90-iso10646-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--14-100-100-100-m-90-iso10646-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--14-100-100-100-m-90-iso8859-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--14-100-100-100-m-90-iso8859-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--14-140-75-75-m-90-iso10646-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--14-140-75-75-m-90-iso10646-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--14-140-75-75-m-90-iso8859-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--14-140-75-75-m-90-iso8859-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--17-120-100-100-m-100-iso10646-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--17-120-100-100-m-100-iso10646-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--17-120-100-100-m-100-iso8859-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--17-120-100-100-m-100-iso8859-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--18-180-75-75-m-110-iso10646-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--18-180-75-75-m-110-iso10646-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--18-180-75-75-m-110-iso8859-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--18-180-75-75-m-110-iso8859-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--20-140-100-100-m-110-iso10646-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--20-140-100-100-m-110-iso10646-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--20-140-100-100-m-110-iso8859-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--20-140-100-100-m-110-iso8859-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--24-240-75-75-m-150-iso10646-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--24-240-75-75-m-150-iso10646-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--24-240-75-75-m-150-iso8859-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--24-240-75-75-m-150-iso8859-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--25-180-100-100-m-150-iso10646-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--25-180-100-100-m-150-iso10646-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--25-180-100-100-m-150-iso8859-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--25-180-100-100-m-150-iso8859-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--34-240-100-100-m-200-iso10646-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--34-240-100-100-m-200-iso10646-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--34-240-100-100-m-200-iso8859-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--34-240-100-100-m-200-iso8859-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--8-80-75-75-m-50-iso10646-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--8-80-75-75-m-50-iso10646-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--8-80-75-75-m-50-iso8859-1
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--8-80-75-75-m-50-iso8859-1

> It seems that you have three kinds of courier fonts:
>       X: -adobe-courier-* (bitmap fonts, same as below)
>     Xft: -Adobe-courier-* (/usr/share/fonts/X11/*dpi/cour*.pcf.gz)
> X alias: -urw-nimbus mono l-* (Type1 scalable fonts)

Yes, /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/fonts.alias defines these aliases:

-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1 "-urw-nimbus mono l-regular-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1"
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-2 "-urw-nimbus mono l-regular-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-2"
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-15 "-urw-nimbus mono l-regular-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-15"
-adobe-courier-medium-o-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1 "-urw-nimbus mono l-regular-o-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1"
-adobe-courier-medium-o-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-2 "-urw-nimbus mono l-regular-o-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-2"
-adobe-courier-medium-o-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-15 "-urw-nimbus mono l-regular-o-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-15"
-adobe-courier-bold-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1 "-urw-nimbus mono l-bold-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1"
-adobe-courier-bold-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-2 "-urw-nimbus mono l-bold-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-2"
-adobe-courier-bold-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-15 "-urw-nimbus mono l-bold-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-15"
-adobe-courier-bold-o-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1 "-urw-nimbus mono l-bold-o-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1"
-adobe-courier-bold-o-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-2 "-urw-nimbus mono l-bold-o-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-2"
-adobe-courier-bold-o-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-15 "-urw-nimbus mono l-bold-o-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-15"
-adobe-courier-medium-i-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1 "-urw-nimbus mono l-regular-o-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1"
-adobe-courier-medium-i-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-2 "-urw-nimbus mono l-regular-o-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-2"
-adobe-courier-medium-i-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-15 "-urw-nimbus mono l-regular-o-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-15"
-adobe-courier-bold-i-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1 "-urw-nimbus mono l-bold-o-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1"
-adobe-courier-bold-i-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-2 "-urw-nimbus mono l-bold-o-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-2"
-adobe-courier-bold-i-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-15 "-urw-nimbus mono l-bold-o-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-15"

My font path according to "xset q" is

/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic,/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled,/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi,/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType,built-ins

Sven