Subject: Re: bug#3226: here-document syntax inference and completion is broken

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 03:40:45 +0200

Paul Nienaber <[email-masked]> writes:

> While I use here-strings more than here-docs by a huge margin I would
> also like to not negatively impact people using the former a lot, so
> in light of that I'd like to suggest going with Stefan's suggestion,
> importantly because it's also totally valid to trip on '<<-' and
> '<<[A-Za-z]', whereas here-strings are always only '<<<'.  Also
> '<<EOF' is the overwhelmingly more common form that I see vs '<< EOF'.

The additional wrinkle here is that sh-mode will insert the
sh-here-document-word when expanding.

So if the user types <<X, what should that be expanded to?  Just
appending EOF would be bad, and replacing the X with EOF would be bad,
and expanding to

foo <<X

X

would be bad, and prompting for what to expand to would be pretty
pointless, too.

I guess is "X" is "E", then expanding to

foo <<EOF

EOF

would be nice, though.  I think I'll add that.

But I didn't see any way to make the <<[^<] thing work in any intuitive
way.  If anybody has an idea here, I'm all ears.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no