Subject: bug#32258: closed (Re: bug#32258: 27.0.50; Crash on minimizing/maximizing Emacs frame from taskbar [RHEL 6.8 GTK2])

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2018 14:01:02 +0000

Your bug report

#32258: 27.0.50; Crash on minimizing/maximizing Emacs frame from taskbar [RHEL 6.8 GTK2]

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
32258: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=32258
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#32258: 27.0.50; Crash on minimizing/maximizing Emacs frame from taskbar [RHEL 6.8 GTK2]
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Kaushal Modi <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2018 17:00:00 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Kaushal Modi <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2018 15:21:56 -0400
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> An update. My emacs sessions haven't crashed after that experimental fix. Also, I didn't see any adverse
> effects because of that. 

OK, I've now pushed the change to the emacs-26 branch, and I'm closing
the bug.  Thanks for testing.

Subject: 27.0.50; Crash on minimizing/maximizing Emacs frame from taskbar [RHEL 6.8 GTK2]
From: Kaushal Modi <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 08:06:28 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

I have started seeing this crash in the past week I believe.

The crash happens when I randomly minimize/maximize the Emacs frame by
clicking on its tab in the OS taskbar. I am using RHEL 6.8.

I have yet to find a good recipe to recreate this programmatically.

xdisp.c:21236: Emacs fatal error: assertion failed: it->glyph_row == NULL
|| it->glyph_row->used[TEXT_AREA] == 0

Backtrace:
emacs[0x5bd0c2]

...

emacs[0x592ea5]
/lib64/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xfd)[0x32f4c1ed1d]

I'll next attempt to recreate this from gdb.

Here is my Emacs build information.

Emacs version: GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 11, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+
Version 2.24.23)
 of 2018-07-23, built using commit 57c4bc146b7e17b6f662604047cb5d10982f962c.

./configure options:
  --with-modules --prefix=/home/kmodi/usr_local/apps/6/emacs/master
'--program-transform-name=s/^ctags$/ctags_emacs/'
--enable-checking=yes,glyphs --enable-check-lisp-object-type
'CPPFLAGS=-I/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/include -I/usr/include/freetype2
-I/usr/include' 'CFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0' 'CXXFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0'
'LDFLAGS=-L/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib -L/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib64
-ggdb3'

Features:
  XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
GTK2 X11 MODULES THREADS

-- 

Kaushal Modi