Subject: bug#32252: i find binary-as-unsigned to be very helpful

From: snickerbockers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2022 01:03:26 +0000

hello,

I use binary-as-unsigned in my .emacs, and I saw that the help
page
said to e-mail you if I find it useful.  Below is a function i
made that
displays a 32-bit two's complement of a given integer in hex.  I
do a
lot of reverse-engineering of low-level programs, so it is very
useful
for me to have a quick way to see how a given integer is actually
represented in the hardware.  if binary-as-unsigned wasn't
available to
make format do most of the work for me, this function would be a
lot
longer and more complicated.

(defun to-hex(value)
 "convert a signed int to its 32-bit two's complement in hex
 notation"
 (interactive "svalue:")
(let ((binary-as-unsigned t))
 (message (substring (format "%08x" (cl-parse-integer value))
 -8))))

(global-set-key (kbd "C-c h") 'to-hex)

Thanks,
snickerbockers