Subject: bug#32246: 27.0.50; files-tests failure on Cygwin

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 17:03:57 +0200

Ken Brown <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Ken,

>> The doc of file-name-case-insensitive-p does not require that FILENAME exists.
>
> I think the doc is ambiguous on that.  The first sentence of the doc
> in the elisp manual says, "Sometimes file names or their parts need to
> be compared as strings, in which case it’s important to know whether
> the underlying filesystem is case-insensitive."  This certainly
> suggests that the file should exist, but there's no indication of what
> the function returns for a non-existent file.  And the code doesn't
> attempt to detect this case.
>
> I don't know what the right solution is.

The doc speaks from "the underlying filesystem". So I believe *this*
must be checked. For non-existing files, the respective directory (up to
the part which exist) should be checked. In case of
"/non-existing-dir/non-existing-file", "/" must be checked.

> Best regards,
> Ken

Best regards, Michael.