Subject: bug#32246: 27.0.50; files-tests failure on Cygwin

From: Ken Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 09:37:46 -0400

On 7/25/2018 8:00 AM, Michael Albinus wrote:
> Hi Ken,

Hi Michael,

> Thanks for this. However, I haven't been able to reproduce the
> problem. I've tried it interactively, running ert over the tests in
> files-tests.el. And I've tried it in a Gnome terminal, running
> 
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> $ emacs -Q -batch -l /cygdrive/c/Users/lb01177/Downloads/files-tests.el --eval '(ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit (quote t))'
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
> 
> In both cases, the error didn't happen.
> 
> How do you get this error? Note that I haven't the downloaded Emacs git
> repository under cagwin, and so I cannot call make. But I would like to
> know your environment, is it a desktop manager, or a terminal in an X11
> environment, or just called from MS Windows.

Thanks for testing.

I left out a crucial piece of information in my bug report (sorry!): I 
always set up my Cygwin systems to be case sensitive, as explained here:

https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#pathnames-casesensitive

If you don't do this, then all file systems are case insensitive.  And 
even if you do this, file names under /cygdrive are case insensitive, as 
explained at the link above.  So I'm not surprised that you couldn't 
reproduce the error.

Apart from that, my normal way of running tests is simply 'make check' 
in my build directory.  I work either in a Cygwin terminal (mintty) or 
an xterm window under X11.  Here's what happens when I run the tests the 
way you did, from my build directory in a Cygwin terminal (and avoiding 
/cygdrive):

$ src/emacs -Q -batch -l ../master/test/lisp/files-tests.el --eval 
'(ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit (quote t))'
Running 78 tests (2018-07-25 09:33:31-0400, selector ‘t’)

[...]

Ran 78 tests, 76 results as expected, 1 unexpected, 1 skipped 
(2018-07-25 09:33:34-0400, 2.591031 sec)
1 expected failures

1 unexpected results:
    FAILED  files-tests-file-name-non-special-file-name-case-insensitive-p

1 skipped results:
   SKIPPED  files-test-bug-18141

Best regards,

Ken