Subject: bug#32242: dd help text lacks information about binary prefixes

From: Wodry <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 20:48:37 +0200

One can use binary prefixes (iB, e.g. MiB) with dd command, but that is
not written in the help text.

I just found out because I wanted to add support for binary prefixes
since I did not know they are already supported.

It's a hidden, but valuable feature, since I think, that M is binary is
hard to remember and can easily lead to confusion.

Much clearer is to use MiB. "M" is mentioned only for backwards
compatibility in this patch.

The parsing for binary prefixes is done in

gnulib/lib/xstrtol.c

so this is not dd specific.
>From e3eaf3024a7b876e308883361cc7b3701a467805 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: wodry <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 19:45:07 +0200
Subject: [PATCH] Inform about binary prefixes in helptext

---
 src/dd.c | 5 +++--
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/src/dd.c b/src/dd.c
index 70bbbb19e..57cb34b03 100644
--- a/src/dd.c
+++ b/src/dd.c
@@ -592,8 +592,9 @@ Copy a file, converting and formatting according to the operands.\n\
       fputs (_("\
 \n\
 N and BYTES may be followed by the following multiplicative suffixes:\n\
-c =1, w =2, b =512, kB =1000, K =1024, MB =1000*1000, M =1024*1024, xM =M,\n\
-GB =1000*1000*1000, G =1024*1024*1024, and so on for T, P, E, Z, Y.\n\
+c =1, w =2, b =512, kB =1000, KiB =1024, K=KiB,\n\
+MB =1000*1000, MiB =1024*1024, M =MiB, xM =MiB,\n\
+GB =1000*1000*1000, GiB =1024*1024*1024, G =GiB, and so on for T, P, E, Z, Y.\n\
 \n\
 Each CONV symbol may be:\n\
 \n\
-- 
2.11.0