Subject: bug#32239: 27.0.50; Message about `package-initialize' missing from *Messages* buffer

From: "N. Jackson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 13:41:36 -0400

Today I'm running the master branch for the first time in a
while. After starting Emacs, I checked the *Messages* buffer to
see if anything in my settings is broken; everything looked
good.

Later in my session I stumbled across a buffer called *Warnings*
with the following message in it:

  Warning (package): Unnecessary call to `package-initialize' in init file

. It seems to me that this message should have appeared in the
*Messages* buffer instead. (Or possibly as well.)

Note: The reason I didn't see this *Warnings* buffer sooner is
that I have many Emacs frames in my desktop file and I didn't
switch to the frame with the window showing this *Warnings*
buffer for some time. Also, on switching to that frame, I did a
`C-x 1' immediately as I needed a frame with just one window,
and didn't particularly look at what buffer was displayed in the
window I closed. So it wasn't until I happened to be culling my
buffer list later in the session that I saw this *Warnings*
buffer -- otherwise there is a very good chance that I would
never have seen it.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.26)
 of 2018-07-21 built on moondust.localdomain
Repository revision: f3f67cf0b9a6388d423e048a7aafad2eb531b5a5
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11906000
System Description: Fedora 27 (Workstation Edition)

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY ACL
LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
GTK3 X11 THREADS LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  hl-line-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  temp-buffer-resize-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  global-visual-line-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Features:
(shadow sort bbdb-message emacsbug sendmail gnus-async qp mail-extr
gnus-ml disp-table hl-line nndraft nnmh utf-7 gnutls epa-file
network-stream nsm nnfolder bbdb-gnus bbdb-mua nnnil gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache
pdf-sync pdf-annot pdf-outline pdf-links pdf-history goto-addr thingatpt
view vc-git diff-mode flyspell ispell pdf-occur ibuf-ext ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs tablist tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp
semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util
semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local cedet
pdf-isearch pdf-misc imenu pdf-tools compile cus-edit pdf-view bookmark
pp pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util org-contacts org-capture gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap cl org-duration
org-eldoc org-w3m org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-habit org-gnus
nnir gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils mm-util
mail-prsvr org-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode dired-x dired
dired-loaddefs org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-agenda org-element
avl-tree generator org advice org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode org-version
ob-shell shell pcomplete ob-R ob-python ob-plantuml ob-org ob-gnuplot
ob-ditaa ob-calc calc-store calc-trail calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs
calc-macs ob-awk ob-dot ob-maxima ob-latex ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle
org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint comint
ansi-color ring ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs
format-spec find-func bbdb-anniv diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs bbdb-com crm mailabbrev bbdb bbdb-site timezone
bbdb-loaddefs warnings ido edmacro kmacro recentf tree-widget wid-edit
battery time wheatgrass-theme paren savehist saveplace elec-pair desktop
frameset delsel cua-base cus-start cus-load time-date mule-util tex-site
info finder-inf package let-alist derived pcase cl-extra help-mode
easymenu url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv epg epg-config subr-x cl-loaddefs cl-lib
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 711227 405968)
 (symbols 48 107326 2)
 (miscs 40 18447 9870)
 (strings 32 238884 8868)
 (string-bytes 1 9671173)
 (vectors 16 62762)
 (vector-slots 8 1176064 45508)
 (floats 8 1427 1225)
 (intervals 56 31541 50488)
 (buffers 992 55))