Subject: Re: bug#32226: shadowfile test failures

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 12:48:50 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Eli,

> I ran that in batch mode.  It ran for a while, and then seemed to
> hang.  I interrupted it; what ended up in the log file is attached.

I could reproduce it with Emacs 26 on MS Windows.

> Let me know how can I assist you in debugging this.

>       (equal
>        (tramp-file-name "cluster" nil nil "c" nil "/DOCUME~1/Zaretzky/LOCALS~1/Temp/shadowfile-testsSe3Hgz" nil)
>        (tramp-file-name nil nil nil "HOME-C4E4A596F7" nil "c:/DOCUME~1/Zaretzky/LOCALS~1/Temp/shadowfile-testsSe3Hgz" nil))

Well, the problem is the syntax of local file names on MS Windows, like
"c:/DOCUME~1/Zaretzky/LOCALS~1/Temp/shadowfile-testsSe3Hgz". shadowfile
uses cluster file names with syntax "/<cluster name>:<local file name>".
If the <local file name> starts with a volume letter, the resulting
string looks like a remote file name, and shadowfile is confused.

Fixing this is not trivial. Is it worth to do it? Again, I doubt that
shadowfile has worked ever on MS Windows; I believe it would be
sufficient to document this restriction.

Best regards, Michael.