Subject: bug#32226: shadowfile test failures

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 16:41:15 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> The test suite is also run interactively (that's what I do), so it
>> cannot be guaranteed that (executable-find "sh") gives a non-nil
>> result. For this case, there is the REMOTE_TEMPORARY_FILE_DIRECTORY trick.
>
> We could instead ask people to set explicit-shell-file-name.

That's not related directly. REMOTE_TEMPORARY_FILE_DIRECTORY shall be a,
hmm, temporary remote directory. It is useful for testing many
configurations. Before I release a new Tramp version, I run stress tests
for several dozen targets, covering all different connection methods and
configuration winkles, and also different Emacs versions starting with
Emacs 24.

Such a campaign (a script) runs usually longer than 24h, and it never
passes all tests during the first run ...

Using a local sh is interesting only for the default mock-up
method. This is the most boring constellation in my own tests, because
everybody else (and hydra) run those tests already.

Best regards, Michael.